Books on Fez
The Fez medina is complex, resulting from 12 centuries of a rich and tortured history. The medina can be at the same time very appealing
and disconcerting, welcoming and frightening, open and secret.
The following books will help you better understand the unique medina of Fez !
Our book selection includes novels and historical literature :
- "The Spider's House" by Paul Bowles - A novel set in Fez during Morocco's 1954 nationalist uprising.
- "Dreams of Trespass" by Fatima Mernissi - The tale of a young girl's life in a traditional house of the Fez medina.
- "A house in Fez" by Suzanna Clarke - The chronicle of her restoration of a house in the medina of Fez.
- "Leo Africanus" by Nathalie Zemon Davis - The story of Hassan el Wazzan a diplomat from the Sultan of Fez in the 16th century.
- "Leo the African" by Amin Maalouf - A novel on Hassan el Wazzan, diplomat from the Sultan of Fez in the 16th century.
- "In Morocco" by Edith Wharton - Writings of her travel to Morocco in 1917 (can be downloaded on gutenberg.org).
One of the best bookshop in Fez : "la Librairie papeterie Nouvelle" - 44 ave. Hassan II - tel : 05 35 62 23 73